Northern Explorer Month | February 1 – 28
On fee and the month is FREE! Starting February 1, visitors can pay one regular admission fee and return to the Zoo for FREE as often as they want during the month of February. We have also planned a variety of family-friendly event and activities for visitors to enjoy all month long!
International Polar Bear Day Celebrations
Saturday, February 25 & Sunday, February 26
• Breakfast with the Bears – enjoy breakfast at the Tundra Grill located overlooking the Zoo’s largest polar bear habitat (Saturday & Sunday at 10 am). ($)
• Let’s lick climate change! Zookeepers will be making “popsicles” for the polar bears to lick in front of Tundra Grill for Breakfast with the Bears.
• Conservation and Zoo Bear Trek – join one of our Educators as they share the stories about our bears as well as conservation strategies. These FREE 45 minute tours begin at the Gateway to the Arctic building and go through parts of Journey to Churchill. (Saturday & Sunday 11 am & 1 pm)
• Grow with our bears - check out an interactive art installation by Kal Barteski and biofacts table in the Gateway to the Arctic building.
• Polar Bear Sucker Selfie Contest – purchase a white chocolate polar bear sucker at the Wild Things Unique Gifts (at the Zoo entrance) or Arctic Treasures (in Tundra Grill). Take a selfie and post your pic on Instagram with #letslickclimatechange to be entered into a draw for an awesome prize!
And there’s more!
Playtime in the Arctic | every Saturday and Sunday
Learning is so “Cool” at the Gateway to the Arctic building!
• Animal Encounters with polar bears and seals (11 am & 2 pm)
• Crafts and hands on bio-fact tables (1 pm – 3 pm)
• Storytelling (1:30 pm)
Northern Explorer Expedition
Pick up your activity map at the Zoo entrance and check out eight of the coolest spots around the Zoo. Submit your checklist to Wild Things Unique Gifts located at the Zoo entrance and collect your Northern Explorer prize!
Heavy Horse Wagon Rides
Take a horse-drawn wagon ride from the McFeetors Heavy Horse Centre. Longer rides into the Park are offered weekdays at 1 pm. Shorter rides within the McFeetors Heavy Horse Centre exhibit are offered on weekends from 1pm to 3 pm. Click here for more information.
Support the Polar Bear Rescue Team!
In February, supporting our polar bear rescue and conservation efforts and the continued care of these incredible animals is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Add $2 to any purchase in our restaurants and/or Zoo gift shops.
2. Purchase a Sunshine Lollipops & Rainbows chocolate polar bear sucker or reusable Assiniboine Park Zoo bag at our Zoo gift shops.
3. Try our Candied Polar Bear Popcorn at the Tundra Grill. 50% of the proceeds will go to the Polar Bear Rescue Team
Plus Winston the polar bear mascot will be making appearances every weekend at the Zoo entrance!